I beat this guy in starcraft. he’s the kid brother of a highschool friend of mine. Anyhow, he quit, and said it was because of any other reason than that he hates to lose, and then picked the funniest fight i’ve ever been the recipient of.
Admittedly, i was deffinately prolonging the conversation. I deleted a long long long long long long long preamble where he dissected the game and told me that my tactics were unfair, his computer was slow, and his mouse was no good.
its very long, but some highlights
He told me that he was more valuable than me, objectively, to society. When i asked what scale he was using to determine objective value, he told me that the transplant board of canada would chose him to receive an organ over me, 10 years from now, when he was a doctor and I was a washed up musician.
I told him that the transplant board woudl reject him summarily because he had hemophelia (which he does). He then said that the whole transplant board thing was irrelevant and I was going off on a tangent.
Later i asked him how he knew what he would be in 10 years. He could plan, hope, wish, work, but not know. He reitterated ht was a certainty. When i pointed out that no one is prescient, he said that i was missing the point, the point that he knew what was going to happen in the future.
Just some amazing feats of logic. Sadly, i completely avoided advancing any of my own beliefs or feelings. I just kept asking him to clarify his. that’s my favourite thing.
I guess, technically, James “won” the conversation, because he never became aware of defeat. Feeling defeated is basically defeat, so Sun Tzu tells us. So he is invincible i suppose.
Some of the key arguments to prove that i had a lower relative worth than him.
1) I make 8bit music, and thus, won’t be famous.
2) I have a beard sometimes.
3) I wear a winter cap when its not winter.
4) I don’t aknowledge that, alone of all human beings, James Fraser is capable of knowing his unconscious mind, thus defeating the entire underpinning of psychology, and disproving all known theories of mind and cognition.
5) I didn’t beleive in his psychic powers
6) I used his own arguments against him, proving i was a coward
7) I did the same thing his brother did (apparently), proving i am a coward
I don’t have hemophelia (?)
9) I am 30, and he is 23 (or 24?) (i’m not 30)
10) i stole ‘Adult Swim” (the block of shows on the cartoon network) from canadian/indian author Rohinton Mistry’s short story about adults taking swimming lessons.
i love it!
All of this started because he said the lag made him lose at starcraft. It really ended in a very sudden and surprise victory. It was though no particualr flaw, just luck that i won. anyhow. he said it was lagging too much.
But also said “(6:32 PM) james: and why is it my torrents are getting 100+kbps”
torrents + starcraft = lags? NEW FACT OF LIFE?
BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I JUST FORGOTTEN he has a son that he’s never visited once. He’s more valuable to society, but not to sure about his son.
No responses yet